Tuesday, January 22, 2013


Patricia Rodriguez
1/16/13
                       
               Morocco: The Islamist Awakening and Other Challenges by Marvine Howe
                                        Chapter 7: Split Identity

Without a doubt one of the most distinctive and unique aspects of Moroccan society is its identity. This topic is explored in Howe’s chapter 7, Split Identity. Moroccans don’t make up one single identity but rather are a unique blend of Arab, Islamic, Berber (original inhabitants), European and some Jewish ancestry. This is most obvious in the languages spoken in Morocco, which has greatly shaped the country’s identity and customs. Despite this melting pot of cultures, according to its constitution, Morocco is a sovereign Muslim state and its official language is Arabic. Its also one part of the greater Arab Maghreb (which also includes Algeria, Tunisia, Mauritania and Libya) and is an African state (p.171).
Arabic is the language of government, administration, instruction, religion and everyday life. It’s important to note this, despite the fact that about 40 percent of its inhabitants still speak a Berber dialect and observe Berber customs (p.171). Just how Morocco came to be an officially Arabic speaking, Arab and Muslim state in lieu of its complex identity can be traced back to its independence in 1956.  A closer look at how these combinations of cultures and identies have asserted themselves on each other reveals what makes the present day Morocco.
Although the North African Berbers had some of the greatest dynasties, the country had become irreversibly Arabized since the arrival of the Arabs as conquerors in the late seventh century.  Flash-forward to the time of independence in the late 1950’s; it was all about a national unity. Therefore there was no Berber question for fear of a separatist movement. It’s interesting that the Berber population at this time remained so silent, even though they form the majority of the armed struggle against the colonial powers. In fact, they went out of their way to prove that they were good Moroccans. Much could be said about national pride and how important it is for people to be considered a Moroccan. With the Berber identity put aside for the sake of national independence and unity, “the main divide at that time was between the European modernist and Arab traditionalist” (p.172).
From early on the Arab traditionalist wanted to arabized the administration and educational systems. They wanted to separate themselves from European ways. This proved to be easier said then done, since under the colonial powers it wasn’t allowed to create private Arabic schools (p175). Because of this there was a great shortage of qualified Arabic teachers. Another problem that arose was whether to teach classical Arabic of the Koran or the more commonly spoken Moroccan Arabic (also known as Darija). Because of the pressures of traditionalist, Nationalism, Arab ideology and religiousness the country decided to Arabize the language to classical Arabic. Although after independence and the royal order to Arabize, it was clear that Moroccans weren’t willing to abandon French and Spanish. There were those that still held on to the notion of westernizing (to a certain degree). This came in the form of learning western languages, especially by the social elites. This further adds to daily Moroccan life as a multicultural experience. Its also an example of how willing Moroccan citizens were and still continue to be in its desire to join the modern and global times.
After many years of silence the Berber revival began in the 1980’s. The Berber people began to make demands that its language be included in the constitution as an official language along with Arabic. Under Mohammed VI institutes based on Berber studies were finally funded and operational. Unfortunately this revival has only had cultural components. It has no political influences because ethnic parties are prohibited by the constitution (p.176). Currently the country is in midst of a Berber renaissance and so the issue is an ongoing one in which time will only tell the outcome.
The Jewish minority in Morocco is an ancient one. They have been around for thousands of years. When the Jews were expelled from Europe in the 14th and 15th century they went to Morocco and added to the dwindling Jewish communities. But after independence the mood of uncertainty and with the creation of Israeli state, many of the Jews left. Furthermore, the May 2003 terrorist attack on a Jewish social center was a final blow to the Jewish community in Morocco.
Currently Morocco is taking full advantage of its multicultural identity especially by providing a choice of foreign languages early on in the educational system. Not just French, Spanish and English but for the first time the Berber language is being taught at some schools. In this chapter Howe, gives the example of a famous Berber poet, which I believe sums up nicely the typical multicultural and multilingual, Moroccan citizen. “Ahmed Assid spoke Tamazight at home, learned classical Arabic in Koranic school, French in public school and Moroccan Arabic in the streets” (P.188)

11 comments:

  1. I find this topic to very interesting as a prevalent and ongoing theme in the country. I personally admire the multiculturalism here in Morocco. I believe it is a an aspect of the country that should be cherished. To see a nation so diverse, I can only think of how great that is; to see a society exist of so many ideas, languages, and diversity. However, that is an idea I see in my head, not one that is played out in reality. The same conflict exists in our own country. America is a melting pot of the world and we deal with an identity crisis of our own. The world has a single view of what "America" is, however I do not believe there is a true American culture. We have so many different cultures that make us a country. As nice as diversity sounds, it is only that; a sound. The reality is that there is always a more powerful group that pushes itself on the minorities, often causing conflict. Unless all groups agree to be one, I dont think diversity can exists without problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in a country where the people are a mix of difference cultures and ethnic groups. I grew up learning Fon at home, I was taught in French at school and I learned Ewe by going to my best friend's house. When I came to the United States, I was taught in English at school, learned Spanish in school, spoke Fon and French at home. The beautiful thing about Morocco and a lot of other African countries is the melting pot of different cultures. In Ghana for example when I go there to visit my brother, other than English there are about four different native languages spoken by the people. They are taught in English at school, however outside of school, people speak twi, hausa, ewe, and more. Morocco definitely in a good place when it comes to the different identities that it has, because the people are able to be exposed to different languages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The different languages spoken in addition to the large variance in physical attributes sums up colonialism in Morocco. It's amazing to see Spanish looking Moroccans in Chefchaouen, Middle Eastern looking Moroccans in Fez, and Black Africans in Marrakesh and the Atlas. Forget about the U.S as it seems Morocco is the true melting pot of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing to see the multilinguilism in action everyday in Morocco. Those that deal especially with tourists seem to be the ones who understand and use the most languages interchangeably. The shop keepers for one can dabble in at least french arabic and english. The souks is filled with Moroccan Arabic, French, English, and sometimes even Spanish. The ones who speak the most languages though have to be the tour guides. They come into contact with so many languages on a daily basis that they can end up knowing 6 or even 7 languages! I can see the direct effects of the schools offering so many languages. Even the kids at my school seem naturally multilingual. They mainly speak Moroccan Arabic but they mix in French and English here and there effortlessly. I wonder how this deeply engrained multilingualism will effect the way in which Morocco develops socially, economically, and politically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Split identities is definitely one of the most interesting topics in Morocco for me. Like the U.S, Morocco is home to so many diverse and unique cultures and people. However, instead of just focusing on one language or culture, Morocco takes advantage of its diversity and encourage its people to explore and embrace their multiple identities. Children are taught Arabic and French early on and taught to use both in all aspects of life. The Berber languages are also emphasized and now English is starting to be encouraged throughout the country. Children are also taught to navigate through their different identities with ease, making them much more competitive in our world. After living here, I feel ashamed that I can only read, write, and speak English (and I'm not even that good at it). Yes, I can speak 2 Chinese dialects, but it is nothing compared to Moroccans! They have definitely made me take language skills more seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The multicultural aspect of Morocco is part of what makes the country so intriguing. I think Mike's comparison to America's melting pot is super accurate because the United States is composed of even more ethnic groups than Morocco. This adds to its idea of freedom, which is the reason why so many people immigrate or dream of immigrating to the states. In Morocco, however, the multiculturalism is beautiful because it leads to it's citizens' fluency in about 4 languages (in average). Calling it split identity does not sound so great but it truly is a benefit and a unique characteristic - which is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the reasons I felt comfortable in Morocco was because of its multiculturalism because it reminded me so much of New York, a big melting pot of different cultures, nationalities and identities. Granted Morocco isn't on the same big scale as New York is as far as diversity is concerned, but the fact that I could speak the little bit of Spanish that I know with my host mother made me feel very comfortable because language barrier was a big concern of mine prior to coming to Morocco. As everyone else stated, Morocco's multiculturalism is one of its biggest asset because its languages cover major parts of the continent. I think there should be more investment in languages in the Moroccan public school system. Also, economically, it is a good investment for the youth because it will enable more job opportunities that require a multi-lingual speaker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Throughout our stay here I have been trying to listen to Moroccans when they speak. Whenever I hear their conversations, the sentences are a mix of French and Arabic. It really amazes me whenever I hear Moroccans speak because I think about how much the French influenced their language. Then sometimes I hear a little bit of Spanish in conversations as well, which amazes me even more. This expose on language and identity reminded me of Singapore because of the multi linguistic and multi cultural society. Similar to Morocco, Singapore was conquered by many other countries, and is also an immigration hub for Indians, Malaysians, Chinese, and European people. At first, the government was very against mixing race and culture, believing that everything (as in culture, language, and lifestyles) should not be mixed. As time passed by, the government finally accepted that there were mixed cultures and decided to celebrate their new "barankian" culture, which is what they call a mixed person of different cultures. Singapore also does not have an official language, but all of their street signs are in English, and children learn all of their subjects in English while also going to school to learn Chinese, Malay, or Hindi. This creates an identity crisis for many of the citizens, however, since they pronounced their new "barankian" culture, it has cleared the air for most citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To me, French and Spanish language is nothing but the remnants and legacy of colonialism in Morocco just like the culture of cafe's left behind by the French. However, French and Spanish has become so much part of Moroccan culture that its hard to imagine Morocco without these two languages. I think Classical Arabic does not fully meet the needs of Moroccan people and French is necessary to meet all their societal needs and French is necessary to communicate their ideas with the world at large even if its the language of their former colonizer.

    Its disheartening to see that Berber people who participated in Morocco's independent movement as Moroccans had to fight for their own rights. The Berber language was granted the status of an official Moroccan language only recently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The thing that intrigues me the most about this article and about the makeup of Morocco's demographics is how the different ethnicities remind me so much of our constituents here in New York City. Morocco truly is a melting pot of different cultures so it is really interesting to learn about how these different groups claim their identities. I find it also interesting how when Morocco was moving towards independence there was a step away from the question of whether or not Morocco should be a Berber state, in fear that this would cause a separatist movement. The other side of this decision is that a step away from a separatist state gave more way towards a nationalist unity that could then be formed under the light of 'being a Moroccan'. Being considered as a Moroccan or an Arab traditionalist gave the state a better stance against European modernist in hopes of preserving the culture and ways of the Maghreb. I also find it fair that the Moroccan administration decided to fund the schooling and teaching of the berber language.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is mind-blowing to know that Morocco is a multilingual and multicultural country, which reminds me of New York. The only difference is that everyone in New York does not speak all the languages but you do find this diversity. I am bilingual and I was taught Spanish at home and English in school. I am amazed when I would walk around Moroccans that I would never know who would understand me or not, or if they spoke English or Spanish. Due to colonialism people in the northern part speak Spanish, most Moroccans speak French, Moroccan Arabic was spoken at home and standard Arabic was taught in school. It is interesting to know that I met people that spoke all four: Moroccan Arabic, Standard Arabic, French and Spanish and they were still eager to learn a fifth language like English or they knew some English. I was actually happy that Moroccans have split identities and think it is an advantage for the simple fact that I was successful in communicating with them and they can communicate with any one. It is also great that they are not forgetting about the Berber people and are teaching the Berber language. The only issue I might see is that children or anyone learning more than one language might have difficulties distinguishing the languages. Arabic is by the far most complicated since they read from right to left and also there are too many words that are either changed to feminine or masculine. Now imagine learning three other languages that have different rules.

    ReplyDelete